Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Mornin' Groats






















As a vegetarian, who doesn't eat eggs, I'm often limited to a fruit cup and side of hash browns when I go out for brunch. Of course, there's the occasional granola bowl (like my favorite at La Boulange in San Francisco). At home, I like to get creative with my breakfast options and I'm constantly looking for new inspiration. This weekend, my father introduced me to whole oat groats, which are basically minimally processed oats (the oat kernel with the hull removed). Groats not only have a high nutritional value, they also have a wonderful nutty flavor and creamy texture. They're also a labor of love (if you want super creamy groats, you'll need to cook them for at least an hour and a half) but are well worth the wait. They taste great with a little chopped banana, blueberries, pepita seeds and walnut pieces.


Whole Oat Groats
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 cup whole oat groats
8 cups water
drizzle of honey or maple syrup (optional)
chopped fruit, handful of chopped nuts and seeds (optional)
splash of nut milk (optional)

Directions:
1. Combine groats with water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for required time, stirring often until desired consistency is reached.
2. Top with a splash of hemp milk, chopped fruit, nuts, seeds and a drizzle of honey.





No comments:

Post a Comment