Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Cake with Coconut-Cacao Frosting


I hate seeing good produce go to waste. So when a coworker with a surplus of home-grown pumpkins needed help unloading her family's Halloween rejects, I readily jumped at the opportunity. The great thing about pumpkins (and most other squash varieties) is that they last a long time and make festive house decorations while you're deciding what to cook. With my father's 63rd birthday coming up, I wanted to make a seasonal cake that was decadent yet healthy (yes, you can have both!). I found the prefect recipe on My New Roots and added my own twist by adding unsweetened cocoa powder to the frosting (I probably added 3/4 cup, but you can start with 1/4 cup and adjust depending on how chocolatey you want your cake). I finished it off with roasted hazelnuts and chopped dark chocolate. The cake turned out subtly sweet yet spicy and the coconut-cacao frosting was light and velvety.

















































No comments:

Post a Comment